Sunday, October 6, 2013

WOW! I just adore these...

I am so happy that I have had the chance to read Of Primary Importance. It is a wonderful book about Writer's Workshop... and classroom community. I have also had the chance to learn from the {amazing} author, Ann Marie Corgill, first hand at a literacy workshop, through conversations, and during a recent webinar she hosted. 


If you have not read her book -you MUST check it out here.

I love that Ann Marie focuses on creating a community of writers and putting CHILDREN at the focus of our teaching :)

One idea she shared in her book was making self-portraits that hang in the classroom all year. I absolutely love watching my students as they create these. I also love walking into my classroom and seeing their gorgeous faces! A reminder of what is most important- THEM!!!






We make these portraits by drawing with soft pencil lines, outlining in black Sharpie marker, adding color with oil pastels, and filling the background with liquid watercolor paint. 






CHECK OUT EACH STUDENT'S SELF-PORTRAIT BELOW:

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Free digital slideshow made with Smilebox

 Ann Marie Corgill has two blogs that I love to read:

Corgill Kids

AM Literacy Learning Log

She also recently hosted a GREAT webinar. Check that out HERE!!! 

3 comments:

  1. I just love this idea! I had not heard of that book before and may have to check it out. The students were very creative! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. These self-portraits are wonderful! They must be so proud of them!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete