Monday, September 26, 2011

Hot Dog! A Writing Celebration

I am so proud of the work that my students have done during our first unit (Drawing) of Writer's Workshop. 

Here's what we learned:


GROWING WRITERS:

draw shapes
draw people and detailed faces to show feelings
use different colors
draw sound or motion
fill up the white space
use speech & thought bubbles
add words
and
are inspired by GREAT BOOKS

I just love seeing my growing writers SO EXCITED about books and writing!

We studied Mo Willems' craft during the last 2 weeks of our drawing unit. (Check out our adorable Oil Pastel Pigeons HERE.) Pigeon loves hot dogs and we discovered that "having a hot dog party" was at the top of his Things I Want List. We felt like there was no better way to celebrate our writing than with a Hot Dog Party of our own!

We got ready for the party by doodling Mo characters on our table covers:


During the party students:

shared their writing with their special guests

ate hot dogs and these adorable cupcakes

and decorated paper hot dogs with funny things
(you can play Hot Dog Dress Up online with Duckling and Pigeon HERE)

Here are the highlights from our celebration and the students' favorite pieces from this unit:
Click to play this Smilebox collage
Create your own collage - Powered by Smilebox
Customize a collage

**Kindergarten Friends - I am proud of you!! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love the hot dog cupcakes! I would love to do this in my classroom. Thank you for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been interested in smilebox. Have you been pleased and do you feel you pay a lot?

    I love this beginning of the year unit for writing! Thanks for the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to enjoy spa service without any time barriers then by izspa is perfect solution for you. Book your schedules now.

    ReplyDelete